The Inuktitut name Kugaaruk means “a river flowing through the community that is used for fishing and to supply water”. The community formerly known as Pelly Bay is found on the Simpson Peninsula, south of the Gulf of Boothia. As in the name of the community, the area is very well known for its excellent fishing. Kugaaruk is surrounded with coastal mountains, which expand between the tundra and the bay. The area has a very diverse landscape, to the liking of photographers.
A stone church was built by missionaries in the 1930’s and 40’s. Today, it is a historic site that is still being maintained by the Hamlet of Kugaaruk.
The Netsilingmiut, or the people of the seal, are traditional people who have occupied this remote area for centuries and have never made contact with the rest of the world until recently.
Adress: Box 114, X0B 1K0
Chairperson: Mariano Uqqarluk
Vice-Chairperson: Zachary Oogark
Secretary Treasurer: Stephan Inaksajak
Director: Emiliano Qirngnuq
Director: Columban Pudjuarjok
Director: Charlie Niptayuk
Director: Eric Amautinuar
Director: David Evalik
Manager: Barthelemy Nirlungayuk