The Inuktitut name Kugaaruk means “a river flowing through the community that is used for fishing and to supply water”. The community formerly known as Pelly Bay is found on the Simpson Peninsula, south of the Gulf of Boothia. As in the name of the community, the area is very well known for its excellent fishing. Kugaaruk is surrounded with coastal mountains, which expand between the tundra and the bay. The area has a very diverse landscape, to the liking of photographers.
A stone church was built by missionaries in the 1930’s and 40’s. Today, it is a historic site that is still being maintained by the Hamlet of Kugaaruk.
The Netsilingmiut, or the people of the seal, are traditional people who have occupied this remote area for centuries and have never made contact with the rest of the world until recently.
Kurairojuark HTA | Adress: Box 114, X0B 1K0
Tel.: 769-7002 | Fax: 769-5713 | Email: email@example.com